PDA

View Full Version : Any Daikin owners?

Nomad
24-05-2010, 10:25 PM
Heya, we got ours for a few weeks now. It heats the room up nicely. Great price from the lot we sampled.

We don't have a benchmark but do you find it on the tad noisy side? It's also not energy star efficient right? Heating I think has a 2 star for heating efficiency and cooling is a 1 star.

When it turns off now and then, the odd time you get a flapping sound.

Like to hear your thoughts.

Cheers.

zqwerty
24-05-2010, 11:26 PM
We just got a Mitsubishi today, so far no complaints, virtually noiseless, no on/off glitches appearing on tv screen/clicking on radio, but it's early days. I'm told this is one of the benefits of inverter technology, no interference.

Heaps of heat even though it's peeing down outside. Put it up to 24C, heated up dining room, lounge and kitchen in about 15 mins.

Seems very good.

Nomad
24-05-2010, 11:28 PM
We only set it at 22 degrees. But when I am at home, I set it at 20 ;D Mind you I haven't used a heater in my room yet, ceiling is insulated though.

lakewoodlady
24-05-2010, 11:42 PM
I love my Daikin, low fan and 20 deg. Keeps open plan living and kitchen cosy. Can still hear fan slightly but not too intrusive.

LL

PinoyKiw
25-05-2010, 05:29 AM
We have all Daikins in our house, 22 in the lounge and dinning area, no noise at all, no interference.

The children have there one's set at 18, but the fan has been reduced a couple of bars so as not to disturb them when sleeping as full fan in such a small room, while not noisey, is enough to wake one of the children. Both are set on the programmed timer thingee to turn off later in the night and come back on a hour before they are due to wake up.

We have had ours for a year now, very good on price, much cheaper than using gas. Better for the children as well.

Trev
25-05-2010, 09:19 AM
Had a Daikin for 7 or 8 years now with no problems.
:)

R.M.
25-05-2010, 11:36 AM
Goodness - we must be used to the cold :(. Our's is set at 15 degrees...

The fan is a little noisy, but I can live with that!

Nomad
25-05-2010, 02:11 PM
They are not energy star efficient right? No icon picture on box or any of its documentations.

The star rating for efficiency was pretty poor with vs Mitsi and Fujitisu's?

Nomad
30-05-2010, 10:10 AM
For those interested, after some research it appears the Daikin installers weren't lying. The Daikins we were supplied with are the new energy efficient star grading system. We have a cooling of 1 star and heating of 2 stars. Previously the heating was a 5 star (under the Australian energy site or something).

I had a look at the others like Mitsubishi, they are slightly better with a 2.5 star for heating. Previously they are a 5 or 6 star in the old system - which I think they are still using now in their brochures and in the store. Maybe a bit misleading :D

I haven't checked all the heat pumps if any are 5 or 6 star on the new system thou. It looks not.

Oh, the flapping noise is gone, maybe we just need to readjust the filter or clean it. We find the turbo mode works well to get the room warmed up quickly. We find that the temperature is accurate if you are in front of it a few meters etc. If you go to the side like to the wall where the bookshelf is, then you may see a drop of 3 degrees. We haven't put any in the bedrooms yet, but we had quotes in each bedroom or in the corridor. Me thinks one in each room is gonna be super expensive for the product itself and installation, $10k+ and in terms of energy efficiency it's not gonna be that cheap because each one of them would be working at a min speed to contain the temp anyway (plus if you turn it off in summer it still uses power, the Daikin book advise you to turn the circuit off at the power meter). I find that if one is in the corridor it's cheaper to buy, install and heat the other rooms up provided the doors are opened. We turn them off when we sleep. Well, I get up 6am and shoot out 6.45 in the mornings, I can't be bothered using the timer, I'm warmed anyway with the morning shower :D

In terms of price, before we had 3hr a day of a oil fin heater (2400W) probably on half way mark, that consumed 20kW a day (with other stuff as you do). Now with the HP on maybe 8hrs a day (main room only), very occasionally the oil fin heater is on to heat some clothes (in winter) we use 25kW for a day. We use maybe 5-7kW more than most people cos we have a few more fridge/freezers in the garage.

Nomad
30-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Me also thinks, HPs looks ugly in a typical to small bedrom. The dang thing is the width of a closet door (wall mounted). Floor mounted is too fussy and equally large. Can be ceiling mounted but those are even more expensive and tend to be more powerful and less energy efficient. Put a 5kW in a small bedroom, lol. They are intended to be used in office space or lounge areas. At least the Canadian homes central heating is a lot more discreet. Can be less noisy and less fan (thou you can adjust that).

Neil McC
30-05-2010, 01:13 PM
We've just installed the 5kw floor version in our lounge beside the log fire.Using it to heat the small cottage we're in.Fire is nicer but wood is getting so expensive to buy.
Have it set to come on half an hour before we get up,and that's easier than getting the fire going again.Running it at 18 - 21 degrees.