PDA

View Full Version : Naked Broadband help please

kountryken
23-05-2010, 03:24 PM
I am on Xnet river plan, which uses the telecom swithboard and am thinking of going VFx fushion. my first question is, will this do away with the Telecom line charge $50 month? most of my usage is during the day 8am to 4pm and about 3GB per month. Will i be able to use our existing phone pieces for ordinary calls. My moden is Linksys Wag160n. Would this modem work with Fushion VFX.? any help please appreciated. or maybe should i consider going to naked home line and broadband with Telstra clear or Vodafone.

gary67
23-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Yep the line charge will be gone.

We used to be on Vodafone 20Gb + tolls cost us $95 with the $10 discount or $105 without. Now our bill should be around$80-85 on 20Gb Fusion. Just remember no power = no phone once you go nDSL and VoIP

pctek
23-05-2010, 03:51 PM
What is Xnet Fusion?

Xnet Fusion is a standalone Broadband Internet connection and a digital voice phone service without the old fashioned telephone line!

With Xnet, New Zealanders are no longer required to pay for an analogue phone line in order to get a Broadband connection. Starting from $69.95 (incl GST) per month, you will get a full speed broadband connection and digital voice phone line. A second digital phone line is only $7.95 per month.

The Broadband connection is Full Line Speed both for uploading and downloading at the maximum your line can handle. With flexible data you can manage your own data cap, tailoring it to your individual requirements and budget. Data is charged per megabyte and we will only charge you for what you use!

By employing either a Xnet VFX certified voice capable DSL router or adding an Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA) to the router you already have, you can make digital voice calls using your existing telephone over your Broadband connection. Xnet will allocate you a new phone number, or if you prefer, you can keep your existing phone number for a one off charge of $19.69 incl GST.

See here for their faq:
http://www.xnet.co.nz/fusion/faq.shtml

PaulD
23-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Yep the line charge will be gone.

The portion of the charge that went towards the phone service will go but you will still pay something for the line itself. Depending on whether you are urban or non urban that could be more than what you were previously paying. It isn't a case of saving $50.

Nomad
23-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Yes there will be no telecom line charges.

However it's not clear cut. If you go with nDSL with Xnet they charget you a bit for the VOIP service. Which I understand you get a local phone number and free local calls, toll call specials and things like that.

If you match the Fusion plan which I think is FS/FS to a std plan - that will be the Flood (I think).

Tried going to the Xnet page but it was v slow - gave up....

Generally you pay $20 more abouts for a Fusion plan over the std Flood plan (FS/FS). So that is roughly $20-25 cheaper than the Telecom line, but you will won't be able to eliminate all that $45-50.

Yes, you can get VOIP routers, it was on the Xnet's homepage - they list Linksys gear. You can get VOIP handsets, you can get adaptors for standard Telecom phones.

If you can get Telstra cable, if you get their higher cable plans. You don't pay a cent for the phone. But then you get no local ph number. If you paid $45-50 for the phone and internet was $49.95. If you want internet only you pay $49.95 only. Not sure if they have a VOIP plan thou. Some have said there are VOIP calling cards or something like that .. available .....

PaulD
23-05-2010, 05:30 PM
Yes there will be no telecom line charges.

They are hidden by the fact that Xnet buy a Wholesale service from Telecom and it's Xnet that bill you.

lakewoodlady
23-05-2010, 05:40 PM
What is Xnet Fusion?

Xnet Fusion is a standalone Broadband Internet connection and a digital voice phone service without the old fashioned telephone line!

With Xnet, New Zealanders are no longer required to pay for an analogue phone line in order to get a Broadband connection. Starting from $69.95 (incl GST) per month, you will get a full speed broadband connection and digital voice phone line. A second digital phone line is only $7.95 per month.

The Broadband connection is Full Line Speed both for uploading and downloading at the maximum your line can handle. With flexible data you can manage your own data cap, tailoring it to your individual requirements and budget. Data is charged per megabyte and we will only charge you for what you use!

By employing either a Xnet VFX certified voice capable DSL router or adding an Analogue Telephone Adapter (ATA) to the router you already have, you can make digital voice calls using your existing telephone over your Broadband connection. Xnet will allocate you a new phone number, or if you prefer, you can keep your existing phone number for a one off charge of $19.69 incl GST.

See here for their faq:
http://www.xnet.co.nz/fusion/faq.shtml

Yes the price for Fusion starts at $69.95......... but, if you are deemed to be rural it is $89.95 Which seems to be most of the country according to Telecom and the Commerce Commission. :yuck: It would pay to check with Xnet first.

LL

gary67
23-05-2010, 08:06 PM
The VoIP router from Xnet seems to be very good I am more than happy with ours

kountryken
24-05-2010, 02:34 PM
thanks all for advice. i have been ringing around other servers and think that xnet we will stay at but shift onto fusion. they recomend this adapter Cisco Linksys SPA2102 Phone Adapter. they said from dick smith but they don't have this model. Gary67 what are you using. I'm in The Wood area?

gary67
24-05-2010, 08:58 PM
We have the all in one linksys WAG310G as shown on the Xnet website (http://www.xnet.co.nz/vfx/hardware.shtml). Combined wireless and VoIP router.

I lived in the Wood when I first came here in Tasman street