PDA

View Full Version : A new sort of spam !

Digby
21-05-2010, 07:45 AM
Hi Guys

We all know about email spam.

But lately I am getting one or two like the following each day

hyg gxpdt edrnrrh ie l jqfn spznirj wxbbjf, fix

Are they mad ?

I don't get the point of them (have never clicked on one).

Can they really work for the spammers ?

wmoore
21-05-2010, 08:54 AM
Don't click the link, this needs to be removed asap.

johcar
21-05-2010, 10:15 AM
I think the garbage either side of the URL are characters from a set of language characters you don't have installed and your systyem is doing its level best to display them.

Sweep
21-05-2010, 10:55 AM
More to the point. If the link is dodgy then why publish it here?

mikebartnz
21-05-2010, 07:51 PM
More to the point. If the link is dodgy then why publish it here?
Get a life Sweep you can't click on the link and if you copy and paste into the url bar all you get is Google and this page.

Jen
21-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Get a life Sweep you can't click on the link and if you copy and paste into the url bar all you get is Google and this page.Ah, didn't you notice a Mod (Chill) had edited the post? There WAS a clickable link in that post before Chill 'broke' it. We received a few reported posts from users concerned about the dodgy link being clickable, so thanks guys for that. :)

Anyone (including curious newbies) who had clicked on that link would have seen an adult website plus possibly got their browser/PC infected.

Shows that you really need to think twice before posting a link you already think is suspect ...

Sweep
21-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Get a life Sweep you can't click on the link and if you copy and paste into the url bar all you get is Google and this page.

Try to read and comprehend before you burst into print.

There was a link there earlier and note that I said "if the link is dodgy"

I wasn't dopey enough to try it.

Renmoo
21-05-2010, 08:04 PM
In a nutshell, the incorporation of nonsensical arrangement of the characters will achieve the following effects:

1) Bypass junkmail filter (random arrangement of the character will reduce the likelihood of the message being flagged as spam as the characters do not form a word that is part of the filter's dictionary)

2) Induces curiosity of the e-mail recipient, and therefore encourages him / her to click on the link.

Digby
21-05-2010, 11:47 PM
Thanks Jamuz

I get the idea now !

Agent_24
24-05-2010, 02:36 AM
I think Jamuz has got the right idea...

I would add that it's also so the spammers can laugh even harder when anyone is idiotic to click a link in an email like that! :D