PDA

View Full Version : Most of your non IT mates using laptops?

Nomad
20-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Most of mine are. They are non IT geeks tho.
The ones particularly in Asia even get a laptop for games.

I was planning on building a PC for my bro, now he says he prefer a laptop. Laptops have come down in price considerably, he does not play games so a cheap one would do fine. He can take it into the lounge and doesn't take much desk space at all ......

Cheers.

Agent_24
20-05-2010, 06:19 PM
I only know two people who use only laptops and don't have desktops (or don't use them much)

The rest either have only desktops or both laptops and desktops

Dannz
20-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Most of the non IT people i know have laptops only.

I don't know what i would do without my desktop!

Sweep
20-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Most of my non IT mates don't have either a desktop or laptop.

Metla
20-05-2010, 06:30 PM
Most families I know have a desktop, Most single people have a laptop if anything.

gary67
20-05-2010, 07:31 PM
Step son has a laptop we have 4 desktops between the 2 of us

KarameaDave
20-05-2010, 08:17 PM
I have a laptop, it's my newest PC.(2007 so not new)
3 desktops, +1 for swmbo...
Still don't know why...
Because I can I suppose.
(Gonna build a kickass video editing workstation when we get back from Europe though)
My mates mostly have desktops, one or two have a lappy as well.

goodiesguy
20-05-2010, 09:42 PM
I have my main pc:

AMD Athlon XP 2600+, 1.99Ghz
KM400-M2 Motherboard
ATI Radeon 9600 128MB (beats the 32MB onboard)
768MB DDR 400 RAM (1x 512MB + 1x 256MB, am gonna upgrade when i have the money)
Lifeview 3000 TV Tuner Card
PCI IEEE 1394 Firewire Card (3-Port)
SAMSUNG Syncmaster 740n 17" (found in a skip by a mate, score!), DELL E57P?? 15"
ASUS Lightscribe DVD-RAM DRIVE, BTC 16x DVD Writer
Windows XP Professional 32-bit Service Pack 3 WPA2-PSK Enabled

This PC was originally our family pc when we got it custom built in 2004, me and my dad didnt know as much about pc's back then. we had windows 98 SE thinking XP wouldnt run on it. 1 year later, we bought a genuine copy of windows xp and slapped it on their. its now my pc as of last year. when we originally got it it only had 256mb ddr333(or 300?) RAM and 32mb onboard video. it also only had a CD-RW/DVD Player Drive.

Most of our non it mates use Desktops. Though one mate has a desktop and 2 laptops. i have a Compaq Evo n410c with docking station. battery is dead tho, i have it sitting by my bed. it is always connected to the net, so i can check online tv guide at nzcity site. i can also browse utube and pcworld in bed. im regularly listening to early rock n roll such as bo diddley and chuck berry aswell

psycik
20-05-2010, 09:58 PM
I have a home built pvr....no keyboard, permanently connected to aTV

Use a laptop for day to day use, but the computer I'm accessing is a windows 7 VM running on my home server.

Use the laptop cos the home server is is a dark cold bedroom at the other end of the house, the lappy in the nice warm lounge with the family.

Speedy Gonzales
20-05-2010, 10:17 PM
I wouldnt even know where my mates are. Except ex-work colleagues. Most of have desktop (I cant remember anyone having a laptop). I may get a laptop soon, since I maybe working next week :banana

Since I've never really had one (beside PCuservista's one), but it cant even get on the net :p

But I've got 3 desktops I built here up and running (soon to be 4). Thats WHEN and IF I can get some $ to get the rest of it (ram/case/PSU). I've got the CPU and the mobo

george12
20-05-2010, 10:26 PM
I'm a computer tech and even I use a laptop for my day to day use. It does everything I need to. I frequently attach IDE/SATA drives using a USB adapter, and use it on a large screen with a docking station when needed.

However, I find that the benefits of having my normal computer be a laptop I can take to jobs and work on at home wherever I like are enormous. Additional benefits include the battery acting as a built-in UPS, and easily accessible mobile internet from my phone using bluetooth.

On the other hand I do own a desktop, but this is really only used by my family - I just use it occasionally when I need to test a part, connect a hard drive for overnight data copying or something like that.

I find specs not to be a problem as even my 3 year old laptop can easily be upgraded to take a 500GB or 1TB hard drive, 4GB RAM, etc which is enough for my needs.

pcuser42
20-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Since I've never really had one (beside PCuservista's one), but it cant even get on the net :p

Do you still use it? :p

Speedy Gonzales
20-05-2010, 10:30 PM
lol yup its still got 2k on it. Its running pretty smooth

zqwerty
20-05-2010, 11:24 PM
Quite soon I am going to buy an absolutely killer laptop and go completely mobile, vodostick or telecom stick, not sure what yet but I am really looking forward to having a really good modern machine with win 7 pro on it, probably Toshiba.

goodiesguy
20-05-2010, 11:31 PM
i like desktops as they are customizable in nearly everyway. you sort of cant make a laptop eg: get a case, chose the parts, set it up etc...

Metla
20-05-2010, 11:36 PM
I fixed my laptop by plugging in a screen, keyboard,mouse and speakers.

Now its only an under-performing expensive desktop with massive limitations (might as well be an Apple), rather then an expensive not-worth-using shelf decoration.

zqwerty
20-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Yes but I want to be able to carry a really good machine with me when I go to work and be able to do sophisticated and fast manipulations of a variety of files, media, pictures etc without having to wait for ages for computer crunching of format changes etc plus be able to connect to wifi at libraries and where-ever, plus Skype friends at will.

I also want to sit in the open air and browse the net where-ever I am without having a slug at my finger-tips.

goodiesguy
20-05-2010, 11:44 PM
apples are useless

zqwerty
20-05-2010, 11:51 PM
Agreed it won't be an apple.

Nomad
21-05-2010, 12:02 AM
For me, at uni I had a laptop, at the time I regretted and thought a PC would be better, cheaper and ugpradeable but now days I think the reverse. I don't do much muscle work, not even Photoshop cos I only edit a good 5 pix per month :lol:

Laptops are v affordable, largish HDD, 4GB RAM, or even 2GB prob enof for myself.

Take them to work or school and show friends your pictures after a holiday, take it to the camera club, to the library or cafe over lunch, if you need to provide a presentation, a personal laptop is less fuss than using someone's computer.

I think if I flatted, a laptop may be ideal with maybe a 2nd HDD via eSATA or just plain USB.

zqwerty
21-05-2010, 12:06 AM
I used a Dell (aaaarg) dual core 64 bit with Win XP pro and it was a revelation to me, such fast file transfers plus ability to connect to projector and show movies, no trouble, fast file conversion and general slick performance.

It was stolen not long after (boo hoo). I want to own a machine with similar performance, think I will have about $1500 to spend, should I get the best Toshiba I can?

Sweep
21-05-2010, 12:27 AM
Then, of course, if the charger does not work for some reason, the lappy will be just like a desktop only lighter.

Cato
21-05-2010, 05:52 AM
Don't know many people who have desktops these days. Why be bulky and immobile when you don't have to be?
Actually come to think of it only gamers (and people who check email once a week and have had the same computer for 5+ years) have desktops these days.
Mind you, hook up a monitor a keyboard and a gaming mouse and you've don't really need a bulky desktop for gaming anyway. Just tick it up a nice 3k laptop from Bond, Hill or Norman and pay it off in a year or three. Seems like a good deal at 20$ a week. And repeat.

Cato
21-05-2010, 06:03 AM
Laptops are v affordable, largish HDD, 4GB RAM, or even 2GB prob enof for myself.

Take them to work or school and show friends your pictures after a holiday, take it to the camera club, to the library or cafe over lunch, if you need to provide a presentation, a personal laptop is less fuss than using someone's computer.

I think if I flatted, a laptop may be ideal with maybe a 2nd HDD via eSATA or just plain USB.

RAM is as cheap as toilet paper, bought a laptop 3 years ago next month (to the day in fact). Upgraded RAM thus far, got two 500gb external HDDs (sadly USB, but 2.5"ers). Might get me an SSD, and a nice 2tb drive and an eSATA enclosure and I'll be sweet for another two years till they release a Total War game that the processor or graphics card can't handle. Oh and maybe a blu ray drive too :)
... When I get a job... :(

notechyet
21-05-2010, 06:57 AM
Have been working on a MBP (500GB)for two years with a large screen beside.Works very well and on ocasions I need to take it away for work,so I disconnect the screen and off I go.
Has 4gb ram and my next machine will be a (non os x )laptop again. Does all I want(non gamer).
Only negative, it takes the size of an A2 sheet on my desk with the benefit of two screens.
Perfect!

pctek
21-05-2010, 09:10 AM
Don't know many people who have desktops these days.
Actually come to think of it only gamers (and people who check email once a week and have had the same computer for 5+ years) have desktops these days.
Mind you, hook up a monitor a keyboard and a gaming mouse and you've don't really need a bulky desktop for gaming anyway.

I hate laptops. It's trendy these days, most of my customers who asked for one had no idea why they wanted a laptop over a desktop. (not counting people who needed portable or who had space issues).

You can't upgrade them. I don't buy PCs, I change parts in mine every now and then so that it evolves.

And no you can't game on them.
You need a fairly expensive laptop to have proper performance and even then it lags behind what you can do with a desktop for less money.

I don't need the portability so that eliminates the only advantage they have.

george12
21-05-2010, 01:45 PM
I hate laptops. It's trendy these days, most of my customers who asked for one had no idea why they wanted a laptop over a desktop. (not counting people who needed portable or who had space issues).

You can't upgrade them. I don't buy PCs, I change parts in mine every now and then so that it evolves.

And no you can't game on them.
You need a fairly expensive laptop to have proper performance and even then it lags behind what you can do with a desktop for less money.

I don't need the portability so that eliminates the only advantage they have.

Well to be fair you can upgrade the RAM, HDD, optical drive, and usually the CPU. Of course I understand the need/desire for desktops for some for their improved upgradeability, but laptops are not quite as bad as you make out.

A laptop that cost me $600 second hand 6 months ago serves my purposes nicely, including running virtual PCs.

I would definitely agree that it's foolish to buy laptops for gaming unless you're too rich to care, as a laptop that can handle today's games will cost several thousand and will be obsolete in 2 years max.

Agent_24
21-05-2010, 02:01 PM
RAM and HDD yes, Optical maybe, CPU - Only if BIOS supports it and then you have to worry about the cooling....

Nomad
21-05-2010, 02:12 PM
Yeah, we don't use it for games. I guess the $700 new laptops are affordable. 2GB or whatever seems fine, upgradeable to 4GB I guess down the road. The $500 netbooks are neat too, I cannot remember the last time I used a optical disc.

Put it at the corner of your desk close the lid. You can put papers on top of it .. it's like its not there....

zqwerty
21-05-2010, 06:46 PM
I repaired an Acer 1.4Ghz, 1gig ram, XPsp3, Office 2007, 80Gig HDD, dual core laptop today, used malwarebytes to get some malware off it, it was a really nice machine, fast and slick, I was impressed, very fast opening programs and overall it seemed far better than I have been led to believe by opinions on this site.

Sweep
21-05-2010, 06:52 PM
To make another point.

I've never left my desktop behind when I got off public transport.

pcuser42
21-05-2010, 06:57 PM
To make another point.

I've never left my desktop behind when I got off public transport.

I haven't left my netbook behind either :p

Agent_24
21-05-2010, 07:07 PM
I repaired an Acer 1.4Ghz, 1gig ram, XPsp3, Office 2007, 80Gig HDD, dual core laptop today, used malwarebytes to get some malware off it, it was a really nice machine, fast and slick, I was impressed, very fast opening programs and overall it seemed far better than I have been led to believe by opinions on this site.

Just because it's fast doesn't mean it's good quality

Greven
21-05-2010, 07:43 PM
Most of my customers & my family have laptops because they can store them behind a seat in the lounge & set it up on the kitchen table when they want to do work, or *shock horror* use it on their lap if it is just looking a a few photos.

If I get a laptop, I would want a docking station for it so I can have a large monitor & normal keyboard & mouse. I don't need my big PC, but I like it.

george12
21-05-2010, 09:00 PM
If I get a laptop, I would want a docking station for it so I can have a large monitor & normal keyboard & mouse. I don't need my big PC, but I like it.

Mm, I use a docking station and it's very very nice to just slot in and use the 24" monitor :D

goodiesguy
21-05-2010, 10:20 PM
i think laptops are cool but even my compaq evo n410c with the docking stations big speakers on the side arent satisfactory to my needs. i like my desktop as i have an old Sanyo am/fm stereo tuner amplifier r5 with my pc sound pumped into it. i have 18 yr old phillips speakers (same as what you see in early shortland street episodes, just look out, i saw them on it) hooked up to the amplifier. and man is the bass strong!, wow amazing bass, the bass is soo good thru ear and headfones too. im sticking with my desktop, even if it is 6 years old, it still looks new, and most people who see it think its more powerful than it really is (it has decent specs which i have posted in an earlier post)

Digby
22-05-2010, 04:11 PM
I am a real man and need a real mans computer (a win 7 desktop) that I build myself and upgrade every few years.

I used to hate laptops, (I remember the first Compaq luggables) but got one last year to carry some work data around. Now my daughter uses it every night in her room (Facebook)

I do like the idea of using it on the coffee table, but I hate laptop keyboards as everything is in a different place.

wotz
23-05-2010, 09:58 AM
i like desktops as they are customizable in nearly everyway. you sort of cant make a laptop eg: get a case, chose the parts, set it up etc...

This is why non- IT people like laptops. They don't care about building it themselves or upgraded. What % of desktops ever get upgraded? I suspect very low. At most, a bit more ram. They prefer the convenience of using it where ever they like.

Nomad
24-05-2010, 09:14 AM
I think NZ is a handful of places where you can still find large houses in the main cities with a back and front yard. I know some people who work in NZ in the larger cities, they have accepted townhouses / apartment living - it's quite a bit different than suburbian living.

I had a conversation at home after a chat with a friend in Singapore. I come to believe the future is about convenience and wireless. Most people don't need the state of the art, even if you can get that in Korea is can be priced higher and limited in areas.

People just need a decent speed, an affordable price. Albeit more expensive than ADSL. They will pay that. The trend now is laptops, cellphones, a mobile lifestyle. They want to be online at home, when they are out, on public transport, at the library / cafe. They can chat MSN, they can Skype, they can check restaurant reviews, tourist attractions all on the phone, check bus timetables, watch the breakfast news, check the email on the morning bus. People are just crazy about iPhones, iPads, Netbooks, Laptops, Smartphones. You can use it when you go for a family holiday - tourist info, weather, local news, can Skype home etc.

I think NZ is missing the goal post. You have these crazy devices people love, but the capability is constrained. Who wants to buy an expensive item and use it at home and when they are on the go - listen to saved mp3 and videos, they want it on demand.

I don't know the official stats. A friend in Singapore said more people are with mobile internet. They provide 100Mbps for ADSL and up to 21Mbps for mobile internet. He's on the 2Mbps plan and it's more than enough for him. He's only got mobile internet. When I had a 1.8Mbps connection via ADSL, that was more than enough - I could stream youtube without pauses, I could get the downloads quickly, for larger downloads I could go for a short break. Many people do not download GBs in one go. They do little downloads or stream video.

The killer package for customer and supplier alike is a affordable 3/5/10GB mobile data plan.
A number of my friends go on Facebook while they are at work on their mobile plan, they can bid on Trademe, check their personal emails.

Nomad
24-05-2010, 09:26 AM
Wikipedia stats re: Singapore:

Broadband

* Subscribers: 4,883,700 (79.5% wireless, 10.3% xDSL, 10.1% cable modem, 0.1% others) as of February 2009.