PDA

View Full Version : Telecom's Big Time Is A Big Flop.

bob_doe_nz
20-05-2010, 03:06 PM
http://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=39&topicid=61628

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10646147

Telecom has called time on its all-you-can-eat Big Time broadband plan as it struggles to manage traffic demand created by the plan.

Telecom director of home services Ralph Brayham said a small number of users consuming terabytes of data had stressed the system to the point that, for technical and commercial reasons, the servive could no longer be offered.

How the Frak does one use Terabytes of data? Hundreds of Gigabytes I could understand. :eek:

CYaBro
20-05-2010, 03:19 PM
http://www.pressf1.co.nz/showthread.php?t=109712

PaulD
20-05-2010, 03:21 PM
How the Frak does one use Terabytes of data? Hundreds of Gigabytes I could understand. :eek:

A "small number of users" all doing hundreds of Gigabytes soon adds up to Terabytes. Understand?

nedkelly
20-05-2010, 04:00 PM
I personally have been doing at least 50gb since the beginning of the year, but I am not with telecom so you cant blame me :D

robbyp
20-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Some people are so greedy. Probably teenagers downloading bluray movies. People will always abuse something that is advertised as unlimited.

Nomad
20-05-2010, 05:29 PM
Well it is unlimited :lol:

Dannz
20-05-2010, 05:30 PM
It's amazing how quickly one can chew through multiple TB... :rolleyes:

month rx | tx | total
-------------------------+--------------+--------------------------------------
Dec '09 106.05 GB | 154.97 GB | 261.02 GB :
Jan '10 515.61 GB | 3.55 TB | 4.05 TB %%%:::::::::::::::::::
Feb '10 594.72 GB | 2.34 TB | 2.92 TB %%%::::::::::::
Mar '10 528.10 GB | 1.64 TB | 2.15 TB %%%::::::::
Apr '10 685.52 GB | 2.12 TB | 2.79 TB %%%%:::::::::::
May '10 146.37 GB | 701.40 GB | 847.77 GB %:::

Disclaimer: This isn't on my DSL

However this is:

Bill Date Traffic (Mb)
May 2010 101,567.0979
April 2010 133,300.7444
March 2010 207,689.913

Guess I'm one of the greedy ones huh?

Nomad
20-05-2010, 07:53 PM
It's amazing how quickly one can chew through multiple TB... :rolleyes:

month rx | tx | total
Dec '09 106.05 GB | 154.97 GB | 261.02 GB :
Jan '10 515.61 GB | 3.55 TB | 4.05 TB %%%:::::::::::::::::::
Feb '10 594.72 GB | 2.34 TB | 2.92 TB %%%::::::::::::
Mar '10 528.10 GB | 1.64 TB | 2.15 TB %%%::::::::
Apr '10 685.52 GB | 2.12 TB | 2.79 TB %%%%:::::::::::
May '10 146.37 GB | 701.40 GB | 847.77 GB %:::

Disclaimer: This isn't on my DSL

However this is:

Bill Date Traffic (Mb)
May 2010 101,567.0979
April 2010 133,300.7444
March 2010 207,689.913

Guess I'm one of the greedy ones huh?

What you gonna do now? Go wardriving?

Dannz
20-05-2010, 10:50 PM
What you gonna do now? Go wardriving?

Never said my ISP was telecom :clap

porkster
20-05-2010, 10:58 PM
Some people are so greedy. Probably teenagers downloading bluray movies. People will always abuse something that is advertised as unlimited.

What's greedy about purchasing unlimited and then using it? Isn't that what they purchased. Should they have purchase unlimited and then stop at 5 gig?

Sweep
20-05-2010, 11:07 PM
What's greedy about purchasing unlimited and then using it? Isn't that what they purchased. Should they have purchase unlimited and then stop at 5 gig?

Then again it won't matter since it's going anyway.

goodiesguy
21-05-2010, 12:05 AM
stupid new zealand broadband, as if it couldn't get worse. thank god we are with telstraclear. Every issue we have had (hardly any) have been sorted out. their speeds are good too!

ubergeek85
21-05-2010, 03:21 AM
Damnit.

They ain't transferrin' me to another plan til' I'm six feet under!

Chilling_Silence
21-05-2010, 11:00 AM
stupid new zealand broadband, as if it couldn't get worse. thank god we are with telstraclear. Every issue we have had (hardly any) have been sorted out. their speeds are good too!

We're not worried about the speeds, we're worried about what the cost will be, now that we're used to using, say, over 50GB per-month ...

prefect
21-05-2010, 12:07 PM
Same old thing selfish greedy people wrecking it for others.

Metla
21-05-2010, 01:04 PM
Same old thing selfish greedy people wrecking it for others.

You mean Telecom?

In which case you need to insert dishonest and deceitful into that statement.

Nomad
21-05-2010, 02:06 PM
User pays is fair IMHO.
You are charged for what you use, if you choose to use less you pay less.

But people get a sweetner too, if you are higher user you get some plans that are more worth it per the GB.

Nomad
21-05-2010, 02:37 PM
But sure if a price drop is seen then it should be provided across the board.
Maybe still have a low users plan and a higher users plan where the higher users plan can still get more bang per their dollar.

I think all you can use plans are fraught with problems. If they provided it great, if they want to lose money but get customer respect - great and make money up elsewhere. From what I hear, I like a better balance of equality among its BT users.

Chilling_Silence
21-05-2010, 04:41 PM
I was talking with a guy the other day, he's come to NZ from HK to do some presentations for 3M.

His kids call him cheap coz he pays roughly NZD$28 for 100m/bit fibre, flat rate. They complain (just as we do) that they're running into issues with games though, videos don't stream fast enough. They want him to pay the extra (Approx NZD$7) to get gigabit fibre ...

Again, flat rate, no data charges ...

ubergeek85
21-05-2010, 04:43 PM
Want.

PaulD
21-05-2010, 05:14 PM
I was talking with a guy the other day, he's come to NZ from HK to do some presentations for 3M.

His kids call him cheap coz he pays roughly NZD$28 for 100m/bit fibre, flat rate. They complain (just as we do) that they're running into issues with games though, videos don't stream fast enough. They want him to pay the extra (Approx NZD$7) to get gigabit fibre ...

Again, flat rate, no data charges ...

Ask him how much rent he pays for his apartment.

Nomad
21-05-2010, 07:00 PM
Ask him how much rent he pays for his apartment.

My aunt lives in HK, a state apartment style that you can buy I think. Something along that lines. 2 bedroom apartment is the size of your NZ lounge :D

The dining room is the lounge, there is no entrance cos when you open the door its the lounge already, you place your shoes next to the sofa. The bedrooms, the width was the longer side of a bed, so you climb into bed one way, if it is a double size room the inner person needs to climb over the otehr person to get out :thumbs:

That was uncle/aunts. Their children has 1x metal bunk bed in the other small room. They lived like that til they were mid to late twenties when they got married.

The kitchen is about the size of your laundry room. The laundry room there is the size of 2x free standing toilets (or laundry machines).

Not saying good or bad, but that is the style people live in. Sure, you can get larger apartments but it would cost you. Aunt also does not work.

Perhaps 16-25 metres squared :confused:

Nomad
21-05-2010, 07:08 PM
A friend of mine who is a fashion designer came over to NZ for a holiday, to be able to live in a kiwi house was a dream for her.

I think, they do like NZ, the harder issue may be employment. But I think many would trade less money / income for a better lifestyle. And put up with more expensive items. They do say however the food in NZ is cheaper. Paua too :p , seafood and red meats.

I kinda enjoy busy cities. You do get a lot done, a job is tougher. To me it is for people with diff personality. Maybe for more people who are driven. But having said that commentators do say in HK there are people who are not driven (like anywhere in the world), if they have enof money can sleep and eat, they rather slag back.

Nomad
22-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Have friends in Singapore.

Checked. I think NZ speedwise is up there now. Not as good as the Koreans. But Singapore's SingTel only have 15Mbps - but they are all unlimited. Now thinking about it I guess fibre is good for the future, would like to see maybe larger data caps. Pricewise I think we can leave it as that. $29.95 for some plans are a pretty good deal and a $49.95 or even a $69.95 for the higher users is a not a bad price.

Actually even ADSL1 was pretty good internationally. Singapore has plans of 3Mbps available to customers. The fastest is 15.

Not sure if it still stands but in the USA many people might only have 2Mbps. Via cable Internet. ADSL is picking up now though.

Digby
23-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Wow - that amount of data could keep a small county going !

(oops - we are a small country)

When would that guy get time to watch all that stuff ! ?

pcuser42
23-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Unemployed and single? :p

Nomad
23-05-2010, 05:04 PM
My friend has a 2Mbps connection thru a VODEM stick (like) for about $30-40NZ equiv unlimited data. He has a laptop and just prefers wireless interneting.

For what use 2Mbps appears fine.

Checking out the website, they also have a 21Mbps unlimited data - VODEM stick as well for $70-80NZ equiv :p

Sweep
24-05-2010, 09:48 AM
This may be relevant:-

http://www.stuff.co.nz/technology/3729142/Big-Time-better-than-the-alternatives-say-fans

ubergeek85
24-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Telecom will contact Big Time customers over the next two months to move them onto another plan, and is suggesting a $69.95 for 20Gb per month plan and a $89.95 "Pro" plan with 40Gb of data as attractive options.

Like hell they will. I'm on contract for a year or two (can't remember exactly), and I'm staying.

They think that charging me $10 more, and giving me 20Gb is a good thing? :lol:

Let's just have a look at my usage shall we?

Download Upload Total
133020.21 58456.38 191476.59
174160.53 103067.81 277228.34
65683.84 35567.35 101251.19

So yes, I do use a lot. Not Tb's (although I'm sure I could if I wanted to), but a lot. And they want to give me 20Gb?! And charge me more?!?! Again I use this correct emote: :lol:

Chilling_Silence
24-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Yeah, no deal!

I signed up for 12 months worth, that's what I want. I did 40GB on Orcon each month being *very* careful. Naturally because I don't have to worry about it now, I do a fair bit more ... I mean, why watch the lowest quality YouTube videos when you can watch it in their higher resolutions and not worry about bandwidth use? :D

utopian201
24-05-2010, 02:42 PM
I think if you leave big time, they waive the termination fee.

Chilling_Silence
24-05-2010, 03:50 PM
What if I don't want to leave Big Time? :D

Netsukeninja
24-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Where are all of us digital pack rats going to go now :(

xyz823
24-05-2010, 04:53 PM
What if I don't want to leave Big Time? :D

Exactly. Why dont they just give the option to leave without the early termination fee and close the plan to new customers and people who want to stay on it can.

Or they could introduce a 200 or 300GB cap which would be reasonable to me. (I have hit 200GB ONCE and I usually use 100-120GB)

I signed (well mum did, but thats beside the point) a contract for 12 months and I want my 12 months.

KiwiTT_NZ
24-05-2010, 05:47 PM
Maybe we will get better international bandwidth after these "Data Hogs" are canned :D

Chilling_Silence
24-05-2010, 05:54 PM
I signed (well mum did, but thats beside the point) a contract for 12 months and I want my 12 months.

Same here!

Anyways, just got an email from them half an hour ago:

Important news about the Big Time Broadband plan

Hi %firstname%

You may have heard that the Big Time Broadband plan is coming to an end. The decision was not made lightly and we're sorry that we cannot continue to provide a plan with no monthly data allowance. However, the ongoing traffic management challenges involved with maintaining an innovative plan like Big Time have now made it unsustainable.

To minimise the inconvenience, all Big Time customers will be recommended suitable broadband plans based on their recent broadband usage. We'll be sending a letter in the coming weeks setting out your options, including what you need to do if you choose to disconnect your broadband.

Yours sincerely

Ralph Brayham
Director of Home
Telecom

utopian201
24-05-2010, 06:56 PM
Exactly. Why dont they just give the option to leave without the early termination fee...

They have.

...and close the plan to new customers and people who want to stay on it can.

They can't keep running it because it costs them too much.

Or they could introduce a 200 or 300GB cap which would be reasonable to me. (I have hit 200GB ONCE and I usually use 100-120GB)

Because then people will whinge, moan and complain "that big time should be unlimited, why should there be a cap, when I signed up, I signed up on the understanding it would be uncapped".

I think if you read the small print, it says Telecom has the right to change these. In return for cutting you short, they won't charge you the termination fee.

plod
24-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Have been following the other threads here and on geekzone, I must say I'm a little disappointed in people that say that the plan was abused. I personally never went over the limit of unlimited. Telecom knew what their were offering when they introduced the plan. I will have to wait and see if their come up with better alternatives then they already have. Kind of makes a mockery of fibre to the door. Its either going to be out of the reach of the majority of people or there bandwidth will be used up in the first day.

Nomad
24-05-2010, 07:25 PM
The feeling I get from the replies are me, me, me .....

Don't let new people get it, just let us get it.

I am in favour of a 80 or 100GB plan for diff pricetag.
Maybe a plan like a modest 20GB or 40GB and then a set amount offpeak for those high users. To use the un-utilised bandwidth Telecom may have.

Me thinks unlimited plans will only work if it is put thru all plans or most plans. Provided it makes economical sense. NZ may not have the density and the population for that.

I mean seriously paying $50 or $60 whatever it is, 100GB or 300GB or 2TB was a pretty good deal don't you reckon? Try going to another plan or another ISP. :lol:
Maybe it would of been better if Telecom didn't have/had it at all :thumbs:

Nomad
24-05-2010, 07:45 PM
I think they could provide a high users plan stipulated. I don't think you can employ a fair users policy b/c some people don't give a crap. Some will say unlimited is unlimited. They whinge and moan.

I been there done that. With the university I was downloading 1,000KB/sec 10yrs ago. I had it in my university flats. It was nice to download a 1GB or a few GBs, come home after class and it's all there. Don't like it? Delete it and download something else when you have your evening shower or your dinner. Do some more tomorrow during the day time and every other day ... going out for the weekend schedule it agian ... It was so cheap, you could download the thing again and not look thru your HD or discs.

Maybe a 20 or 40GB plan with a set amount at offpeak for those others .... The moment you set it unlimited in the evenings people can queue it up with their download manager or torrent manager unless they get up 4am and watch Youtube.

I think the only way you can have unlimited is if every gets unlimited 256/128, FS/128 or FS/FS in the 3 diff price marks.

I also don't think making exceptions to some sites (unmetered would work either). Xnet's whatever site it is - I forget. Is not bad. But to make it to like free national data is jsut crazy or all Trademe and Facebook and Twitter and Youtube cos you could easily blow it up that way. Unless Telecom becomes a sympathetic company and say Youtube is for family usage and hey it's on the house.

qazwsxokmijn
24-05-2010, 08:07 PM
So they're calling people who are paying for what's been advertised vampires?

Might sue Ralph Brayham for hurt feelings or something.

Antmannz
24-05-2010, 08:39 PM
I wonder if this has come about because Tivo is not doing very well.

GrahamW
24-05-2010, 08:42 PM
We are a family of 4 (incl 2 teenagers) and we have steadily increased our plans with Telecom over the years. We were regularly fully utilising our 20GB on Explorer and moved to Big Time as it was the only larger capacity fixed price option. We were not particularly looking for unlimited usage - just wanted more capacity with the certanty of what we would be paying each month.
While accepting that we will probably have to move (be moved) off Big Time I would like to see Telecom handle the change in a fair way by working through Big Time users and firstly moving the really large users to alternative plans.

Also, can they introduce a fixed price plan with more than 20GB capacity??

GrahamW
24-05-2010, 08:49 PM
We are a family of 4 (incl 2 teenagers) and we have steadily increased our plans with Telecom over the years. We were regularly fully utilising our 20GB on Explorer and moved to Big Time as it was the only larger capacity fixed price option. We were not particularly looking for unlimited usage - just wanted more capacity with the certanty of what we would be paying each month.
While accepting that we will probably have to move (be moved) off Big Time I would like to see Telecom handle the change in a fair way by working through Big Time users and firstly moving the really large users to alternative plans.

Chilling_Silence
24-05-2010, 10:19 PM
Kind of makes a mockery of fibre to the door. Its either going to be out of the reach of the majority of people or there bandwidth will be used up in the first day.

Somebody else who finally agrees with me :p

Nomad
24-05-2010, 10:29 PM

I do too :p
I will be staying with ADSL1. I could pay $10/mo more and get a new modem - but I am not.

Can you elaborate?
I think they have a 40GB plan right? Not sure if that is capped to dial up speed or pay as you go only.

GrahamW
26-05-2010, 12:20 AM
Telecom's Pro Plan is (I think) pay as you go after 40GB.
I can live with being throttled back to dial up speed after 40GB but don't like the thought of who knows what of a monthly bill with 2 teenagers having free reign! 40GB should be heaps for them but if extra is there (like on Big Time) it will gets used.

nofam
26-05-2010, 12:44 PM
Looks to me like Slingshot's Pro Plan is the best bet, unless Telecon pull something out of their hat?

(Not holding my breath though) :rolleyes:

wratterus
26-05-2010, 01:25 PM
I agree Chill... :p

Looks to me like Slingshot's Pro Plan is the best bet, unless Telecon pull something out of their hat?

(Not holding my breath though) :rolleyes:

Sligshit's Pro plan looks very very good actually, especially with the free off peak downloading....is anyone on it? Can you comment on what the speeds are like?

Just making sure I've got it right - for 25GB ADSL2+ FS up FS down and free downloading between 2am and 8am, with no phone line or calling through SS it's $59.95 a month?

Agent_24
26-05-2010, 01:28 PM

I agree with you too.

What we need is more data allowance not faster speed. ADSL2+ is good enough for any home user and nobody needs to send 50MB photos of their dog to their grandma.

Sweep
26-05-2010, 02:01 PM
I agree with you too.

What we need is more data allowance not faster speed. ADSL2+ is good enough for any home user and nobody needs to send 50MB photos of their dog to their grandma.

It's all about price and what you are prepared to pay.

Agent_24
26-05-2010, 02:17 PM
And currently the prices are ridiculous and I'm not prepared to pay them :lol:

bk T
26-05-2010, 02:34 PM
... just got an email from them half an hour ago:

Anyone else has received any email or letter from Telecom re this matter?

I haven't.

Sweep
26-05-2010, 02:41 PM

I haven't.

I haven't either. But then I'm not on Bigtime.

Agent_24
26-05-2010, 02:45 PM

I haven't.

I got one a few days ago. But nothing indicating when Big Time will actually be shut down

nofam
26-05-2010, 02:50 PM

I haven't.

Yes, I got this two days ago:

Hi Shmuck

You may have heard that the Big Time Broadband plan is coming to an end. The decision was made lightly and we're not sorry that we will not continue to provide a plan with no monthly data allowance. TBH, the ongoing traffic management challenges involved with maintaining an innovative plan like Big Time have now made it unsustainable for peabrains like us.

To minimise the convenience, all Big Time customers will be reduced to unsuitable broadband plans based on my wife's recommendation. We'll be sending a letter in the coming weeks setting out your options to get the shaft, including what you need to do if you choose to disconnect teh internetz.

Yours sincerely

Ralph Braying-like-a-donkey
Director of Homes deserting Telecom
Telecom

Some names were changed to protect the innocent. . . .

Agent_24
26-05-2010, 03:34 PM
:lol:

Where does your signature come from by the way?

nofam
26-05-2010, 03:57 PM
:lol:

Where does your signature come from by the way?

Chris Whitley - Probably the best acoustic blues musician you've never heard of :D

The song is called Scrapyard Lullaby, from the album Dirt Floor.

One of my all-time favourite albums - recorded in a barn, with just his footstomp as percussion.

Marshman
26-05-2010, 10:28 PM
I personally think it stinks that they (Telecom) are pulling the plug on the "Big Time Plan". I have always been a loyal Telecom customer and stuck with them even thru the "XT" debarcle but this could be the final straw. I know that we all use the net differently, but I am a 40GB man and all I want is to be charged a fair price for that amount of traffic. $59.95 is as far as I will go Telecom...........come up with a plan that's arround there, other wise I'm taking my business elseware.

Nomad
30-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Well .. I am doing a course but as a student I need to pay $50+ just to stream videos :confused: I have 25hrs of videos to watch once or rewatch it to understand it better. I am up to the second exam, the first one I slogged it at school. Spent a week at school just watching videos. Now I am doing the same for the 2nd exam.

I don't need unlimited but something decent. Maybe full time students needs to pay $80+ a month just for internet, :lol: Put that on the Internet loan - course related cost component. The annual limit for all course related loans is $1,000 :rolleyes: what about my $100 bus fares a month.

Mobile broadband is also stupid. I know people who work or study and live in the CBD or close to it and they choose not to have a landline, they have a mobile. I heard some users can get 6-10Mbps on mobile internet but look at the tiny caps. How the heck do people study in the library and just do things what devices were advertised to do. Look at Facebook and and all that stuff.

For the minority, when I was working, I didn't watch much videos. All I did was email, surf the net to read, download the odd update I guess that was good enof for a 3GB.

vims213
31-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Since Telecom are removing their Big Time Plan, is the Slingshot "Just Broadband" Plan the next best alternative?

You get 25GB of data and free off-peak broadband from 2am - 8am for $79.95/month.

Do you get charged per gig or do they slow your internet speed to dial-up once you reach your data usage?

Cheers

wratterus
31-05-2010, 09:56 AM
Sligshot's Pro plan looks very very good actually, especially with the free off peak downloading....is anyone on it? Can anyone comment on what the speeds are like?

Just making sure I've got it right - for 25GB ADSL2+ FS up FS down and free downloading between 2am and 8am, with no phone line or calling through SS it's $59.95 a month?

Bump?

wratterus
31-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Since Telecom are removing their Big Time Plan, is the Slingshot "Just Broadband" Plan the next best alternative?

You get 25GB of data and free off-peak broadband from 2am - 8am for $79.95/month.

Do you get charged per gig or do they slow your internet speed to dial-up once you reach your data usage?

Cheers

You can get either to happen if you want.

Think the $79.95 plan is Naked DSL, eg no phone line?

The 59.95 I'm looking at for the pro plan does not include a phone line, as we already have one and don't want to change.

Nomad
31-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Yep, naked ADSL is about ~$20 for that facility which I think you are given a local number (or same as your previous) and perhaps free local calling. Whereas a landline is about $45. Unless you go with some like Woosh or Telstra cable (their higher plans) you can be totally free of phone charges.

Looks like I might upgrade my plan to 10Gb and spend $10 more. I get 6Mbps so I may not upgrade to ADSL2+. I will see how June goes with 3GB.

jimshock
09-07-2010, 10:56 AM
I only just agreed and signed on to a 1 year contract with telecom for the big time plan about 2 months ago, i plan on suing them as they are breaching contract conditions, they have the right to change it once my 1 year contract is up, anyone else in a similar situation? if so, you have any advice on what actions i can take?:mad::help:

Chilling_Silence
09-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Check your fine print, there's no doubt an exit clause in there of theirs ... The 12 months is generally to protect the service provider to make sure that you as the customer don't disappear within a few months to a competing product.

Agent_24
09-07-2010, 01:07 PM
I only just agreed and signed on to a 1 year contract with telecom for the big time plan about 2 months ago, i plan on suing them as they are breaching contract conditions, they have the right to change it once my 1 year contract is up, anyone else in a similar situation? if so, you have any advice on what actions i can take?:mad::help:

Well my letter says:

"No matter which plan you choose, or even if you decide to end your broadband connection with us, you won't be charged an early termination fee."

The Error Guy
09-07-2010, 01:45 PM
I think people should calm it down. If there is an unlimited plan and someone uses unlimited data its not their fault telecom should manage it better. Unlimited txt? they capped that on a fair use policy of 9000 txts.

R2x1
09-07-2010, 02:05 PM
Suing Telecom for breach of contract would be like prosecuting the ocean for being wet.

xyz823
09-07-2010, 03:09 PM
Well my letter says:

"No matter which plan you choose, or even if you decide to end your broadband connection with us, you won't be charged an early termination fee."

I still havn't got a letter...

nofam
09-07-2010, 03:30 PM
I still havn't got a letter...

Things happen at a more leisurely pace down here young fella - remember, we only got electricity the year before last!!

:D

Netsukeninja
09-07-2010, 04:17 PM
Lol, half the letter is complete BS. Anyone here make software specifically designed to get around traffic management? No.

**** Telecom, I'm off to Slingshot.

FYI, for those leaving Telecom make sure to let them know WHY you are leaving.

Chilling_Silence
09-07-2010, 04:29 PM
If you'ree changing providers and you were previously on the Big Time plan, it's relatively self-explanatory :p

I don't understand why they don't impose some "fair use" policy where they state they'll throttle you more if you go over, say, 100GB. Something like that? Then, in terms of being able to offer a "Family Plan, where you don't have to worry about a nasty bill at the end of the month", they'd achieve that, right?

jimshock
09-07-2010, 04:49 PM
I don't see why the majority has to suffer for actions of the minority, i'm sure there are only a few people who do this, and I'm 100% sure Telecom knows who they are, however, because Telecom does not have a clause in their contracts stating using these software programmes are forbidden, they can't do anything about it? They should just get customers to resign their contracts and add this clause, and people who break the rules should have a 3 strikes your out policy, this way, people have the chance to right their wrongs, and those who still choose to partake in illegal activity their plans should be terminated, this is another example of Telecom's blatant laziness to deal with anything difficult, if it's difficult just forget about it, and make some excuse about it and pay the customers $1 for their trouble, absolute BS. The only obstacle is money, their already making hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars, and they can't deal with something like this? Come on PLEASEEEE:illogical

bk T
09-07-2010, 05:02 PM
**** Telecom, I'm off to Slingshot.

FYI, for those leaving Telecom make sure to let them know WHY you are leaving.

So you reckon that Slingshot will be better? I am sure Telecom couldn't be bother to know why you are leaving!

Good luck!

Nomad
09-07-2010, 05:48 PM
I don't see why the majority has to suffer for actions of the minority, i'm sure there are only a few people who do this, and I'm 100% sure Telecom knows who they are, however, because Telecom does not have a clause in their contracts stating using these software programmes are forbidden, they can't do anything about it? They should just get customers to resign their contracts and add this clause, and people who break the rules should have a 3 strikes your out policy, this way, people have the chance to right their wrongs, and those who still choose to partake in illegal activity their plans should be terminated, this is another example of Telecom's blatant laziness to deal with anything difficult, if it's difficult just forget about it, and make some excuse about it and pay the customers $1 for their trouble, absolute BS. The only obstacle is money, their already making hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars, and they can't deal with something like this? Come on PLEASEEEE:illogical

I guess they could of instead of saying unlimited, just set a size like 100GB.

If you are getting into the 3 strikes and you are out or discriminating diff usages - that might be a grey issue. Like it wasn't me it was the kids, using a torrent software itself is legal. Telecom does not have social responsibility / expectations. Technically a person could download stuff thru whatever method and it could be a legitimate activity. Yeah unlimited but who's gonna say what is too much and what isn't? There might just be some kids who are downloading demo iso's be it games or software or just love watching tv or internet streaming.

jimshock
09-07-2010, 06:05 PM
But it's your responsibility as the owner to control those kids downloading these things, the kids are in your household, your the parent, you are in charge, you made the choice of not doing anything about it, even if you knew nothing about it, you should have known, since it's easy to check how much data you've used through the website. If it happens 3 times, then you have to be really ignorant, or just extremely sly to want to continue using the software, but in terms of downloading, the best deal appears to be slingshot, since off peak times are unlimited, though it's only between 2am-8am.........it's just unfair that we are being punished for those who choose to do things like this, what is waiting an extra hour or two for something to finish downloading take? How desperate do you have to be to use this "software" Telecom has no excuses, their just being lazy, and are punishing their customers, as if they haven't been doing that for years by making false promises, and paying people back $1........at the end of the day, what their doing is wrong, and they know it, I'll have to speak to some lawyers to see what's up...possibly involve the government, i'm hoping, but yes i realize telecom is huge and the possibility of winning a court case against them is 0.00001% but it's better to try than leave it as it is.

jimshock
09-07-2010, 06:08 PM
I guess they could of instead of saying unlimited, just set a size like 100GB.

If you are getting into the 3 strikes and you are out or discriminating diff usages - that might be a grey issue. Like it wasn't me it was the kids, using a torrent software itself is legal. Telecom does not have social responsibility / expectations. Technically a person could download stuff thru whatever method and it could be a legitimate activity. Yeah unlimited but who's gonna say what is too much and what isn't? There might just be some kids who are downloading demo iso's be it games or software or just love watching tv or internet streaming.

the only software their referring to is the software people use to increase their torrent downloading speeds, tv, internet streaming, and all of that works fine normally, without broadband speed manipulation, it has to do with torrent downloading, without a doubt.

Chilling_Silence
09-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Ah well, if you've got the cash up your sleeve to do it, then why not? Have fun :)

ubergeek85
09-07-2010, 08:32 PM
the only software their referring to is the software people use to increase their torrent downloading speeds, tv, internet streaming, and all of that works fine normally, without broadband speed manipulation, it has to do with torrent downloading, without a doubt.

AFAIK, the way you get round the limiting is by modifying the referrer string sent by the client, IE; say I go to youtube and watch a video, the browser then downloads the video file, and sends the url of the video page as the referrer. In a nutshell, only HTTP has a referrer (I think), and it is very, very easy to fake, most downloading programs have an option to change the referrer.

I think they just limit other protocols (IE, BitTorrent, FTP, etc) based on the protocol itself, with exceptions for some sites.

I dunno...

Nomad
09-07-2010, 08:35 PM
But it's your responsibility as the owner to control those kids downloading these things, the kids are in your household, your the parent, you are in charge, you made the choice of not doing anything about it, even if you knew nothing about it, you should have known, since it's easy to check how much data you've used through the website. If it happens 3 times, then you have to be really ignorant, or just extremely sly to want to continue using the software, but in terms of downloading, the best deal appears to be slingshot, since off peak times are unlimited, though it's only between 2am-8am.........it's just unfair that we are being punished for those who choose to do things like this, what is waiting an extra hour or two for something to finish downloading take? How desperate do you have to be to use this "software" Telecom has no excuses, their just being lazy, and are punishing their customers, as if they haven't been doing that for years by making false promises, and paying people back $1........at the end of the day, what their doing is wrong, and they know it, I'll have to speak to some lawyers to see what's up...possibly involve the government, i'm hoping, but yes i realize telecom is huge and the possibility of winning a court case against them is 0.00001% but it's better to try than leave it as it is.

If it was just so easy, we wouldn't have so much social cost in our society.

justinsg
14-07-2010, 06:05 PM
So what is everyone planning on doing when (if or if not at the end of their contract) they are forced to pay more and limit, or change providers?

I use Skype quite a lot and YouTube/TVNZ OnDemand so simply on web browsing alone, our household uses about 40gb a month. On top of that comes bittorrent but thats another matter.

Having to think about usage every time you open the browser can be a real block for some people and cause them to refrain from endulging in services such as flickr, youtube, and content-rich sites such as TVNZ. Almost all businesses advertising tell us to 'visit their website' etc. and how will this be so easy when standards such as HTML5 and CSS3 become mainstream and sites begin to expand and utilise the easy communication system?

</rant>

So anyway, what option are people going to choose? Stay with telecom and suffer, or move to where?

wratterus
14-07-2010, 06:22 PM
I'm going to stay for the first 3 months, as they are giving a credit, but after that I'm tossing up between clear, orcon, snap and slingshot.

like the idea of slingshot cause of their off peak downloading, but they seem to be incredibly average from looking at the raft of complaints on GPForums. (http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/387054/?)

Will have to make a decison in the next few months. Thinking Clear cause our phone is already with them, so that saves a few $$ a month.

Damn telecom! I liked big time. :p

Agent_24
14-07-2010, 07:49 PM
I'm going to wait until they introduce another unlimited plan. It's only a matter of time...

Chilling_Silence
14-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Orcon do free TVNZ On Demand.

Otherwise see here: http://www.vodafone.co.nz/home-phone-and-broadband/bundles/ultimate-pack.jsp

darkstar009
14-07-2010, 11:57 PM
We will probably go to the pro plan for 3 months and take up the free credit then look into different plans/ISPs then.