PDA

View Full Version : For those working in the IT industry

pctek
19-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Just to make you all feel a tad inferior.........

Skopje, Macedonia (CNN) --

Marco Calasan is the youngest Microsoft systems engineer in the world, holds four Microsoft certificates and has written a 312-page book on Microsoft's Windows 7.

Marco is just nine years old; he's an only child and a computer genius. He takes us on a tour of the school computer lab, as if it were his home. Marco only lives across the road but spends endless hours in here working away each day, well and truly after the school bell has rung.

Asked why he loves computers so much, Marco responds sagely that, "with knowledge, everything is possible." He goes on to give a detailed explanation of IPTV - the content delivery network system that he set up all by himself.

With his sweet, innocent voice, Marco explains how he streams high quality video throughout Macedonia and even provides a service for the country's disabled.

Marco is anything but normal. He speaks three languages and is learning a fourth and while English is not his mother tongue, his command of the language and vocabulary is mind-boggling. In finite detail he explains the ins and outs of computers and the curriculum he's teaching his peers and adults

wainuitech
19-05-2010, 03:47 PM
Marco is just nine years old But who tells who its bed time him or his parents :lol:

Catweazle
19-05-2010, 04:02 PM
Hehe, I wouldn't be surprised if it was him. 'Just go to bed mum... I'm still studying. I still have several papers to get through. Exams tomorrow.' :stare:

Chilling_Silence
19-05-2010, 06:34 PM
Crazy!!

Jen
19-05-2010, 08:41 PM
Good luck trying to install Net Nanny on his PC. :lol:

SP8's
19-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Let's just hope he stays with the "Force" and doesn't go to the "Dark Side" ... he could empty out everyone's bank account and be the first self-made squizillionaire by the time he's 11 ! :waughh:

Nomad
19-05-2010, 08:56 PM
When I went to a uni open day, I attended the Computer Science intro. A few of the guys there knew how to program and they could make this thing on the screen do different things.

I on the other hand knew nothing. I didn't even know what language was it.

Any of you guys learnt to program by self learning and before you finished High School?

icow
19-05-2010, 09:03 PM
Why would you write a book about Windows or any OS. I learn best my using them.

Nomad
19-05-2010, 09:13 PM
Why would you write a book about Windows or any OS. I learn best my using them.

Why do people pay big dollars or the workplace pays it for them to learn? Why does peopel buy books to self teach? I don't think many people can sit in front of a computer and just learn.

A lot of people who use computers are clerical, admins, PA, EAs, secretaries, accountants, lawyers, analysts, etc.. Not your computer geek.

I don't think I can do it either. It's a lot more efficient learning off another source.

If you go for a job interview and you are tested on computer proficiency - do you feel confident you would get a advanced user rating? I doubt people teaching themselves would know everything.
I first played with Red Hat some years ago, way over my head. Couldn't compile one thing :D A few yrs after that I got Ubuntu. Now I am still a bit lost in Windows 7. I guess as a std user I can open my apps, I can compose a letter or a spreadsheet and a email, play a song. That's all that counts I guess :p

Renmoo
19-05-2010, 11:54 PM
When I went to a uni open day, I attended the Computer Science intro. A few of the guys there knew how to program and they could make this thing on the screen do different things.

I on the other hand knew nothing. I didn't even know what language was it.

Any of you guys learnt to program by self learning and before you finished High School?
I believe the current curriculum also include programming at the intermediate stage in the education system!

With interest, self-learning is very much possible.

Nomad
20-05-2010, 12:11 AM
I believe the current curriculum also include programming at the intermediate stage in the education system!

With interest, self-learning is very much possible.

That was back in 1996.
In our days Computer Studies was a optional Form 6 subject :)
Not sure if we did programming thou, cannot recall.

Speedy Gonzales
20-05-2010, 12:22 AM
Lucky you. In the 1980's computers werent even in school :lol: Well they didnt exist when I went to college

george12
20-05-2010, 12:34 AM

I taught myself to program in VB 6 while in primary school. How/why? Simply because it interested me, and I learn best by experimenting. I think when it comes to programming, some people (such as me) find the type of logic required fits in perfectly with our natural style of thinking.

This kid is clearly such a person, probably with more intelligence, more interest, and more motivation than most.

Ironically I have no desire to be a professional programmer and are more interesting in network engineering.