PDA

View Full Version : How exactly do I file for a tax refund?

xyz823
18-05-2010, 08:13 PM
I've been browsing around the site and found out I can get most of the income tax I paid last year back because I was working while still at school. (Still am).

Anyway, I rang them up and got told to register an account then wait for the code in the mail to confirm the account. But from there I'm stumped.

What form do I have to apply for?

I dont really want to go to one of the websites that do it for you and charge so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sweep
18-05-2010, 08:20 PM
You want an IR3 I think.

http://www.ird.govt.nz/forms-guides/number/forms-001-99/ir003-form-individualreturn-2010.html

xyz823
18-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Cheers for that.

FoxyMX
18-05-2010, 09:10 PM
I've been browsing around the site and found out I can get most of the income tax I paid last year back because I was working while still at school. (Still am).

Use the "Personal tax summary calculation for 2010" tool to work out how much they owe you and then request a Personal Tax Summary to get your refund.

You only need to fill out an IR3 if you were self-employed. If you worked for McDonalds or somewhere then you don't need an IR3.

pctek
18-05-2010, 10:55 PM
You only need to fill out an IR3 if you were self-employed. .

Amended to you only NEED to if self-employed. If they owe you (according to your calculations) then you can fill one out.

If you owe them, you don't actually have to.
Best to work it out yourself first, then you can fill it out on their website with their online form.

Nomad
18-05-2010, 11:09 PM
The details should be online.
You punch some numbers in for a est. Then you ring them for a summary I think, they send it to you some months later then I think you call them up - you will need to do some maths - using the bank's end of financial year statements and using your job pay slips.

Paul.Cov
19-05-2010, 07:41 AM
If there's an inland revenue office anywhere near you, just pop in there and ask at reception for the tax pack (forms) appropriate to your situation. They'll know what you need, and should be able to set you up with the forms and your IRD number on the spot.

From memory, I think ages ago it used to be an IR7 form for employees. IR3 is for business / self employed folk.

Totally HATE working through tax forms. Boring and full of language that is foreign to me.

somebody
19-05-2010, 09:23 AM
As FoxyMX has said, you don't need to file an IR3 in your case. Just request a PTS (personal tax summary) online, and enter in the details - i.e. you were at school, etc. etc. and the IRD will do the calculation for you. Once you get it, it will say how much they owe you (or you owe them), and you just need to ring up and confirm it and you'll either get a cheque in the mail, or the money transferred to your account. It's very straightforward and means you don't have to fill out a pile of forms.

This is the tool you need: http://www.ird.govt.nz/calculators/tool-name/tools-p/calculator-pts-calculator-2010.html?id=2010refundbutton1

pctek
19-05-2010, 09:25 AM
From memory, I think ages ago it used to be an IR7 form for employees. IR3 is for business / self employed folk.

For our business (a partnership) we fill out an IR7. Then we each fill out an IR3 as well.

FoxyMX
19-05-2010, 02:17 PM
As FoxyMX has said, you don't need to file an IR3 in your case. Just request a PTS (personal tax summary) online, and enter in the details - i.e. you were at school, etc. etc. and the IRD will do the calculation for you.

But if, for some reason, a person has paid less tax than they should have done and owe Inland Revenue money then they will have to pay it if they request a personal tax summary without doing the calculation first.

This is why it is a good idea to use the calculator tool first because if the calculator works out that you owe money then you don't have to pay it unless you request a personal tax summary.

This does not apply to a self-employed person, however.

Nomad
19-05-2010, 04:25 PM
For those who have worked in one or more PAYE. Diff jobs, went for a break without a job or to study etc.

If you worked full financial year, same 1 job fixed salary. That's your right tax code, you won't get anything :D Or like my past, full year as a student, even with summer work, it was so low pay and I was already on the lowest tax rate - I got nothing, I did file a tax return from my maths I got 1c I think, their letter response was no action required :p

looseleaf
29-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Go here for step by step instructions:

http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/291565/?s=

--Wolf--
29-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Go here for step by step instructions:

http://www.gpforums.co.nz/thread/291565/?s=

Beats anything posted in this thread, thanks.