PDA

View Full Version : NZs Reward for Low Piracy

pctek
17-05-2010, 11:13 AM
New Zealand has the fourth lowest rate of software piracy in the world after the United States, Japan and Luxembourg, according to the Business Software Alliance (BSA), but is not being rewarded with correspondingly lower prices for popular software.

The BSA is an anti-piracy group funded by Microsoft and other large software makers.

The study, by research firm IDC, estimated that 43 per cent of software used on the world's personal computers last year was pirated, up from 41 per cent in 2008, costing the global software industry US$51.4 billion (NZ$65.1b).

Thirty-five per cent to 45 per cent was "legitimately paid for" and the rest was free or open source.

IDC estimated that in New Zealand 22 per cent of software was pirated, unchanged over each of the previous three years.

Despite the low piracy rate, customers are being charged 40 per cent more for some popular Microsoft software. Office productivity suite mainstay Microsoft Office Professional 2007 was selling for $1149 at Noel Leeming and Bond and Bond last week.

The same software was on sale at Amazon.com for US$406 (NZ$568) and at British electronic goods chain Dixons for 321 (NZ$669).

Office 2007 Home and Student edition was last week priced at $249 by Noel Leeming, US$99 (NZ$139) at Amazon and 69.99 (NZ$146) at Dixons.

Nomad
17-05-2010, 11:18 AM
I read that :)

Me thinks it's better now. Windows for many people come with the computer. Office for households could be $200 odd or even less I heard which is fantastic.

Gone are the days when you used MS Word at school / work and come home to MS Works. When office were $1,000+ for the family, I know we couldn't stomach it. Or even $500 (for the likes of Adobe).

I still wonder about Adobe's s/w and others which is still quite pricey. These days you may find more people doing multimedia / graphic works.

sroby
17-05-2010, 12:25 PM
IDC estimated that in New Zealand 22 per cent of software was pirated, unchanged over each of the previous three years.

These numbers get thrown out there , & no one challenges them, simply as they make better news stories unchallenged.

In NZ, I doubt that 22% of MS products are still being pirated. Thats every 5th PC has pirated Office or Win.
BS BS BS BS (from what I see coming into our workshop)
10 Years ago piracy WAS rampant, its harder now.(still possible to pirate for those really determined, but requires knowledge many dont have)

Same with music piracy.
Blame poor CD sales on piracy,
rather than facts : IE rubbish CD by particular brand, people having other entertainmenmt mediums to spend on that werent ther 20years ago (DVD's, GAMES etc etc etc)
FACT: the most pirated movies also have the most DVD sales !!

This has been going on for 40+ years now. Yet every year it gets thrown out there. Tape was supposed to being going to ruin the music industry. It didnt.

CYaBro
17-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Well our workshop is different, we don't see many pirated copies of windows any more but ms office all the time.
Even had a pirated version of nod32 on machine last week.

Nomad
17-05-2010, 12:47 PM
From what I seen, I see that music and video are pirated. People have phones and iPods, they can share their songs. A person may have 2GB of just mp3's on their laptop :rolleyes:

Dunno why many would pirate OS, it's included in their brand name laptop or PC.

For some s/w they are already modified from point of sale. They don't even prompt you for any numbers. Some of them might but the activation has been rigged. Well maybe not in NZ that's more from the international side. When I was overseas 10yrs ago, you would see a shop selling auth. software in a mall and within 5m another shop was selling fakes. And guess which had the more customers .. I heard some shops even offered gaurantees.

For small software and games and DVDs I don't see that too expensive.... One may buy a DVD and may lend it to friends or colleagues which is fine.

IMO a popular sales DVD, game etc .. just means it is very popular be it bought, downloaded or whatever ... people want it given what avenue they take.

Nomad
17-05-2010, 12:48 PM
Well our workshop is different, we don't see many pirated copies of windows any more but ms office all the time.
Even had a pirated version of nod32 on machine last week.

Nod32 :D if they are that educated. They could of fixed their own PC.

Nomad
17-05-2010, 12:57 PM
IMO there will always be piracy. Despite what salary you may be on etc.

If a mate / colleague provides it to you for free, many people would take it. They rather spend the money shouting them a beer at the pub or a favour. It's human. If you wanna see a movie or get it out on rental, they say, a legal way, they say, save you the hassle, you can borrow my (original) DVD for a week if you like. If your team members want it just pass it around and give it back to me when you done with it ...

It's illegal. But for many, Office is just a stupid s/w that you do work on. Once it is installed it decays with the PC ....

sroby
17-05-2010, 01:42 PM
rant follows (sorry)

Most modern software requires activation.
That was enough to stop/slow most of the rampant NZ software piracy, ie its now harder to load 1 copy of office on 5 PC's in the one company. And since 'major name branded' PC's dont come with an Win install CD we dont get the same Win license used on 5 other PC's.
It also doesnt help when the retail stores untrained staff wrongly tell customers that Office Pro/SBE can be loaded on 3 PC's (hint: read the back of the container). There is so much public misconception re MS Office that MS only have themselves to blame for not making it really obvious-on the front of the pack- how many PC's it can be loaded on (usually just 1,some exceptions)

Counterfeiting (go tradeMe) is another story, & possibly should not be called piracy.????
Its pretty obvious when 'new' MS Office Pro sells at 1/3 price on trademe, its not legit( here a hint: MS dont use stickers on their CD's). Trademe doesnt seem to care, I doubt MS cares either-from stories Ive heard when people ring MS about possible counterfeit product they bought.
Just how hard is it for these HUUUUGE companies to buy one of these super-cheap Office Packs from Trademe etc & then prosecute the seller.

Nomad
17-05-2010, 02:18 PM
I'm feeling the pinch. I bought Office Ultimate for my PC which is great.

Family's PC, how can I get Office in :illogical The Ultimate Steal only allow one computer. So I look for the home office edition then. Should of got that right at the start. Or maybe just flag it and use Open Office :p but it just looks weird. I can understand those who go to school or to work and come home they don't wanna use Open Office.

Maybe wait for a special.
Mind you when I was at uni, Office 1997 / 2000 was discounted, they rather buy more food and beer instead!

Battleneter2
17-05-2010, 03:32 PM
As always the losses$$ due to Piracy are heavily over stated. The assumption is someone that pirated software "would" have purchased it if piracy was not a option.

With many around the world that pirate having low disposable incomes, or simply only wanting to have a look at a bit of software, chances are something like 10% of the total $$ lost due to piracy is actually accurate.

SolMiester
17-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Where is our corporation MS guy N Mercer to reply to this rorting by MS....

Nomad
17-05-2010, 04:35 PM
I know I won't buy a lot of things. I think we got 2 free DVDs at the purchase of the DVD player :lol: rented the rest of them. Bought the odd game but only classic all time favs like Civilisation at a antique sale.

Like broadband, it's so expensive I rather have dial up speed when I exceeded my cap and I prefer not to pay more than thirty bucks. Fortunate I use it mostly for browsing, seldom streaming.

MS Office is one software that I bought and may get another if we have another PC - fortunately for their price. The Utlimate Steal package only have a 1 user license. If they were $400+ I simply would just do wthout it. Many people would simply pirate it. A family or student cannot afford nor want to spend $500+ or $1,000+ for a word processor / spreadsheet.

R2x1
17-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Low Piracy? You never know where the sods will strike next. ;)

Agent_24
18-05-2010, 01:28 AM
I have no need for Microsoft Office so it doesn't worry me in the slightest :D

Speedy Gonzales
18-05-2010, 08:14 AM
Speaking of piracy (http://www.nzherald.co.nz/technology/news/article.cfm?c_id=5&objectid=10645702)

Digby
18-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Yes as a private person with a very small business I think that $800 to $1000 for a full office (with Publisher and Access) is a lot of money. You can buy a laptop for that !

All Office is now is a few tweaks on the previous version, so they have done most of the work.

Also there should be readily available trade-ins / updates for owners of previous versions of Office (like me) But where do I go to get one ?

And then there is the situation where a home / family has two or three machines in the house !

As regards piracy, yes it does not matter how much you earn or how cheap things are, if people can get them for nothing, they will.

But they would not steal a car if someone offered one to them for $10 !

And getting back to PCTek's OP

Why is Office so much dearer here in NZ than in the USA and the UK ?
Greedy retailers or is it due to our low population ?

For years I have said we need a higher population. I have just been talking to some people from overseas. Monterey in Mexico has 5 million million, Buenos Aires in Argentina has 12 million, Sao Paulo in Brazil has 20 million.

If we had that kind of population here in NZ many things would be cheaper (and better)
(more people/sales to spread your costs over and can buy in bulk)

paulw
18-05-2010, 09:20 AM
Why is Office so much dearer here in NZ than in the USA and the UK ?
Greedy retailers or is it due to our low population ?

For years I have said we need a higher population. I have just been talking to some people from overseas. Monterey in Mexico has 5 million million, Buenos Aires in Argentina has 12 million, Sao Paulo in Brazil has 20 million.

If we had that kind of population here in NZ many things would be cheaper (and better)

Why can't we get the 60 trial disk or download and buy the cheap US licenses rather than the expensive NZ ones. Online licensing has nothing to do with small population bases and cost nothing extra...

R2x1
18-05-2010, 09:29 AM
Go and live on a Wellington Rail Platform for 12 months and see if the anthill existence is so appealing. Large populations do not equate to the good life.

The simple reason MS products are so expensive here is that the suckers will pay. It is no news at all that businesses prefer to sell at the highest price they can achieve, and so the gullible set the level. If people opted for one of the many available alternatives to the extent that MS lost significant market share the price would drop. They have a great deal of room to manoeuvre before causing any discomfort, but why should they?

Gobe1
18-05-2010, 09:38 AM
True RX, they sell office in russia for $10 and they are still making a profit on that. Their excuse.... nobody can afforrd to pay $300 so $10 is better that nothing...WTF we are being ripped big time

We have tried to use open office at our office here years ago (3-4) but it was a disaster because no one else we dealt with used it, there were compatibility issues all the time.

Greven
18-05-2010, 07:52 PM
These numbers get thrown out there , & no one challenges them, simply as they make better news stories unchallenged.

In NZ, I doubt that 22% of MS products are still being pirated. Thats every 5th PC has pirated Office or Win.
BS BS BS BS (from what I see coming into our workshop)
10 Years ago piracy WAS rampant, its harder now.(still possible to pirate for those really determined, but requires knowledge many dont have)

Depends on their definition of pirated - we see enough computers with pirated MS Office, but it is far more common to find a business using academic software. I also see a lot of businesses running AVG free.

CYaBro
18-05-2010, 08:02 PM
Nod32 :D if they are that educated. They could of fixed their own PC.

After a bit of investigating it appears that this illegal copy was installed by another local computer store.
I informed Chilisoft (the NZ NOD32 distributor) but not sure if they have done anything about it.
Chilisoft told me that the username/password for the NOD32 was from a volume license bought in Hong Kong :D

At the moment you can get Office 2007 Small Business Edition (word, excel, outlook, powerpoint & publisher) for about $350 and you will get a free upgrade to Office 2010 Pro, which includes Access, when it released next month.

legod
19-05-2010, 05:15 PM

I don't know about that...live in Britain - population 65million-ish, island the same size as New Zealand. They don't call it rip-off Britain for nothing.

We would sacrifice alot of the great things about this country if we opened the floodgates. Paying a bit more for goods is one of the sacrifices.

That said, we sure do get ripped off on alot of things.