PDA

View Full Version : Good PSU - too good for "consumers" ?

Nomad
17-05-2010, 09:31 AM
I know that system builders like yourselves would like a good quality PSU. Ditto to kids who like to play games.

For the many consumers out there who merely just have a onboard video controller is it needed? Tasks such as surf the web and MS Office / Publisher.

Like your thoughts. :)

Metla
17-05-2010, 09:39 AM
Crappy PSU's crap out no matter what level you want to rank the user at, It has no relevance.

A quality PC has a quality PSU or its not a quality PC.

pctek
17-05-2010, 11:16 AM
For the many consumers out there who merely just have a onboard video controller is it needed?

What has usage of the PC got to do with using low quality PSUs? It's power. It steps the 230v down to 12v etc, whatever component it is powering. If it's dodgy do you really want it to take out all your lovely hardware with it? Like the hard drive for instance?

I use quality parts only regardless of the use of the PC.

It's like saying you'd buy some known crap car just because you only use it for day to day running around.

Nomad
17-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Yeah but .. most people out there buy supermarket computers and offices use a lot of Dell. Surely, the fault rate is not astronomical.

Netsukeninja
17-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Just get something that isn't $50 and you should be fine.

Nomad
17-05-2010, 12:23 PM
The former motherboard went haywire. So I am taking advantage of MS's IT Academy in this course I am doing - free Windows. I might kit it up again.

I have the box. Nothing special. It's a iCute and a matching PSU, what sorta wattage should I look for? I may go for a better quality one. Don't ask me why he got the cheaper one, I guess many non IT people just want it cheap.

Nothing special, probably a Sempron CPU, onboard video, 1x DVDRW if at all, no floppy, 1x SATA. 1x wifi card (G series). That's it.

I take it Enermax, Antec, Silverstone, Thermaltake, Corrsair are all good?
350W ok?

Cheers.

Sweep
17-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Hmmmmm. Perhaps the former motherboard went haywire due to a crappy PSU.

Nomad
17-05-2010, 02:08 PM
I installed the CPU in the wrong way. Don't ask me how. I installed it without much force and the heat sink fan even went on ok. I re-thermal pasted it. Given how well it worked on my own system.

I broke it so the new sys will be my shout :thumbs: :dogeye:

sroby
17-05-2010, 02:26 PM
I take it Enermax, Antec, Silverstone, Thermaltake, Corrsair are all good?
350W ok?

Cheers.

All OK (from memory: Antec? OR Thermaltake? have had a few dud cheapy models ,rebranded a 350w as a 450W)

Antec, Thermaltake, Corsair are all just rebranded from other manufacturers(& possibly Silverstone,??). REAL performance varies on model to model with most brands, doesnt matter for 90% of us.

Enermax may have had reliablity issues recently???, one of the local shops no longer stocks them because of increasing failure rates, they should know as they would have sold alot of them. They were Very reliable 2+ years back.

350W is OK: on a descent brand PSU with just onboard graphics

sroby
17-05-2010, 02:28 PM
I installed the CPU in the wrong way. Don't ask me how.

Thats how the Flux Capacitor was discovered (in the future). Perhaps to be discovered by you ?? :punk

Battleneter2
17-05-2010, 03:55 PM
About 8 months ago I came home and could smell a strong electrolytic burning smell. Two PC's were off, server on. It took about 10 minutes to figure out what it was.

The problem turned out to be a off computer (passive power on) for the wife that had a cheap PSU was actually glowing on the inside basically jumping a resistor.

From that moment on I decided cheap PSU's are not worth the risk even on a low end rig, could have burnt down the house and killed the dogs if we came home an hour later.

So yea I changed my mind, buy a decent PSU on ANY PC not just the higher end rigs.

pctek
17-05-2010, 08:31 PM
Corsair are all just rebranded from other manufacturers(& possibly Silverstone,??). REAL performance varies on model to model with most brands, doesnt matter for 90% of us.

Corsair are made by Seasonic actually.

There are 2 very good sites that do real testing on PSUs, as in taking them apart not just plugging one into a PC.

I've seen too many cheap crap PSUs take out components to ever use one again.

somebody
17-05-2010, 08:35 PM
Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've always used crappy PSUs in my PCs and have never had any problems.

Erayd
17-05-2010, 08:43 PM
...and offices use a lot of Dell. Surely, the fault rate is not astronomical.The difference is that those dell-using offices mostly use the business models, which are designed to have a low failure rate throughout a typical business working life. Sadly, the same can't be said for their 'consumer' models.

Disclaimer: I work somewhere that uses many thousands of Dell desktops & laptops.

Agent_24
18-05-2010, 01:25 AM
The problem with PSUs now is that all the lower powered ones aren't decent quality any more.

Most people who want a decent PSU also want it to power a Phenom II or i7. There's not much of a market in high-end PSUs that can only run an Athlon XP.

Yeah but .. most people out there buy supermarket computers and offices use a lot of Dell. Surely, the fault rate is not astronomical.

Dell are pretty bad in my opinion, I wouldn't want to buy one that's for sure. I do have an ATX Dell PSU though and while it's only 125 watts it's more well built than any Hyena i've seen. But then again, I doubt Dell actually made it... :p

All OK (from memory: Antec? OR Thermaltake? have had a few dud cheapy models ,rebranded a 350w as a 450W)

Antec, Thermaltake, Corsair are all just rebranded from other manufacturers(& possibly Silverstone,??). REAL performance varies on model to model with most brands, doesnt matter for 90% of us.

Enermax may have had reliablity issues recently???, one of the local shops no longer stocks them because of increasing failure rates, they should know as they would have sold alot of them. They were Very reliable 2+ years back.

350W is OK: on a descent brand PSU with just onboard graphics

I personally wouldn't use Antec because while their designs are good they have a habit of using useless brands of capacitors.

Thermaltake I don't like much either, for pretty much the same reason, but I think some of their designs are just plain bad too.

Enermax had some problems with Liberty PSUs exploding a while back, it was caused by glue that went conductive over time and caused short circuits. I'm not aware of any problems currently though (except that they are a bit overpriced maybe)

Corsair uses Channel-Well as one of their OEMs, and maybe Seasonic as well?

pctek
18-05-2010, 08:23 AM
Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've always used crappy PSUs in my PCs and have never had any problems.

Yes, it's been luck.
One day when that luck fails you'll get the point.

Gobe1
18-05-2010, 09:41 AM
Yes, it's been luck.
One day when that luck fails you'll get the point.

Yep, ive had 1 power supply (junk brand cant remember it) take out a motherboard here, was approx 1 year old

Nomad
18-05-2010, 03:57 PM
I've had a 386 1992 and the PSU didn't break until I switched it to 120V and turned it on :D we got a replacement under warranty and that didn't break ever until we gave it to eDay maybe 2007.

The current iCute without the motherboard still works since maybe ~ 2003.

trinsic
19-05-2010, 06:06 PM
I'd personally go for the Antec Earthwatts 380w. Its just under $100 and a solid PSU, stay away from the 380D one as its the 'improved' version (just get the plain grey 380). Improved as in using cheaper parts.

Stay away from Hyena and in my opinion any of the new chinese companies until they actually become main stream. Huntkey, Ikonik, Aywun to name a few. Thermaltake are pretty bad IMO. Their ToughPower series is good.

Vantec are fairly good for a cheap PSU. Same goes for Silverstone. Some of Gigabyte/Cooler Master PSU's can be good but their cheaper ones are apparently very loud. I haev a 350w Cooler Master here, brand new but it is not a very stable PSU at all. Its shocking really, came with a case though so its fairly cheap.

Corsair and Seasonic are both good but a bit of a premium if you are not using a video card or on a budget. About as solid as solid comes to be honest.

Enermax are probably way out of your price range. NZ gets the short end of the stick here and prices are way way over what they should be. Australia gets normal prices.

Corsair are made by Seasonic actually.
Their later PSU's are by Channel Well but nothing wrong with that.

Agent_24
19-05-2010, 06:50 PM
Their later PSU's are by Channel Well but nothing wrong with that.

Depends which design. Some Channel-Well are good, some are bad.

I'm sure Corsair use the good ones though, but still.