PDA

View Full Version : MS Office Student and Office Edition.

Nomad
17-05-2010, 09:15 AM
Hi, I got the student version called the Ultimate Steal as a download for $80 which has an option of a extra $25 that incl a CD/DVD disc.

I saw the $230 odd MS Office 2003 Home and Student Edition in the mailouts. What's the difference? It still incl the 2010 as a download when it is available. I know it doesn't have MS Outlook but the $80 one does :lol:

Does the $230 apply to home business or unqualified education institutes?

FYI, I found out the $80 one really is just one copy per student even if the student as a PC and a laptop. Diff to the academic version some yrs back.

Cheers.

CYaBro
17-05-2010, 10:06 AM
You can sometimes get Office 2007 Home & Student for $149 at DSE or Harvey Norman.
And yes, if you buy it at the moment you will get the free download of 2010 when it comes out next month.

wainuitech
17-05-2010, 10:18 AM
MS Office 2003 Home and Student Edition

As long as you got that date correct, the 2003 version is actually called Student and Teacher. Which contains:

2003: Word, Excel,PowerPoint & Outlook

2007 & 2010 = Home & Student

2007 & 2010: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote.

Nomad
17-05-2010, 10:24 AM
As long as you got that date correct, the 2003 version is actually called Student and Teacher. Which contains:

2003: Word, Excel,PowerPoint & Outlook

2007 & 2010 = Home & Student

2007 & 2010: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote.

Oops sorry, 2007 I meant.

Hey, why would anyone in the correct mind go for a $200 when a $80 is available? It also has Outlook. Is the Student and Office Edition easier to get hold of? Ie., more students are qualified, maybe small businesses (hence its name - Office Edition).

AvonBill
17-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Retail Home and Student 2007 can be installed on 3 PCs.
Watch out for the one day specials. I bought a copy recently for $88 at Harvey Norman. Last year I got a copy at DSE for $99.

Nomad
17-05-2010, 10:27 AM
Oh I got "Home" and "Office" mixed up :p

So is the $200 for everyone at home :confused: could it be used for home business? How many licenses does it incl? PC and laptop? Out of interest.

Nomad
17-05-2010, 10:28 AM
Watch out for the specials. I bought a copy recently for $88 at Harvey Norman. Last year I got a copy at DSE for $99.

Cheers.

wainuitech
17-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Not every one can get the Ultimate steal - you have to qualify for it, Eg: at uni, or some other place that allows you to have it.

You sure its Home and student ?? That doesn't have outlook. Heres the Contents of Home & student (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Home_&_Student_.jpg) 2007 -- Notice No Outlook install files

is this the one you got (http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-nz/default.aspx) - If so, that's ultimate.

Nomad
17-05-2010, 10:31 AM
In their view what is a student? Does it have to be a qualified student? Or could be it any high school, primary school, could it be a home employer / business or even just a normal person who come home after their day job? It's home right.

Nomad
17-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Not every one can get the Ultimate steal - you have to qualify for it, Eg: at uni, or some other place that allows you to have it.

You sure its Home and student ?? That doesn't have outlook. Heres the Contents of Home & student (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/Home_&_Student_.jpg) 2007 -- Notice No Outlook install files

is this the one you got (http://www.microsoft.com/student/discounts/theultimatesteal-nz/default.aspx) - If so, that's ultimate.

Yes, I have the Ultimate Steal as I have a qualified student email addy. That comes with Outlook. My default email s/w :p

Yeah the $230 at DSE. Home and Student. I'm talking about that. Out of interest...

wainuitech
17-05-2010, 10:42 AM
As AvonBill put:

OEM = One PC.

The one you got -- Dunno, as I never had it.

The $239 @ DSE is currently a bit over priced.

What happens is suppliers often do discounts at certain times of the year - and lower the retail pricing - thats when the "specials" come on. BUT just looking at DSE's current price --- nope.

Nomad
17-05-2010, 10:47 AM
As AvonBill put:

OEM = One PC.

The one you got -- Dunno, as I never had it.

The $239 @ DSE is currently a bit over priced.

What happens is suppliers often do discounts at certain times of the year - and lower the retail pricing - thats when the "specials" come on. BUT just looking at DSE's current price --- nope.

Yep, the Ultimate Steal has Outlook. Generally it's a bit cheaper. Optional CD. One license per student only even if he/she has a PC and a laptop. Nor can you buy 2x copies because it requires your student email.

Re: the Student and Home Edition. I take it any student and family person can get it? For argument sake is a home business ok? Some larger business I suspect might be able to get that for cheaper even if it's not the right thing to do .....

ryanjames.powell
17-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Yep, the Ultimate Steal has Outlook. Generally it's a bit cheaper. Optional CD. One license per student only even if he/she has a PC and a laptop. Nor can you buy 2x copies because it requires your student email.

Re: the Student and Home Edition. I take it any student and family person can get it? For argument sake is a home business ok? Some larger business I suspect might be able to get that for cheaper even if it's not the right thing to do .....

As far as I know, Home and Student is just a name, as that is the target market for that edition, not having Outlook means it's often unsuitable for businesses, and large businesses would get a volume license edition, which would be either Professional or Enterprise. There is nothing stopping a small business from buying a copy of Home and Student, as it is just a retail package.

Nomad
17-05-2010, 12:25 PM
Yeah something like a Motel owner or a small accountant firm could use Home / Office I guess :D

wainuitech
17-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Yeah something like a Motel owner or a small accountant firm could use Home / Office I guess :D"Legally" thats wrong. But many places do anyway.

On the Microsoft Office Page (http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suites/ha101655301033.aspx), under Pricing and ordering, and also on written on the retail box it actually states not for business usage.

Q:As a small business can I use office home and Student 2007 at my work?

A: No. Office Home and Student 2007 is licensed only for noncommercial use by households.

Nomad
17-05-2010, 01:42 PM
DSE is not helping it.

They don't have the std version, only academic whatever that is .. and the home office one. What does a small business do then :sleep

sroby
17-05-2010, 01:50 PM
Yeah something like a Motel owner or a small accountant firm could use Home / Office I guess :D

Home & Student: It doesnt have Outlook, not a biggy if you are happy with Outlook Express or Win Live Mail (gaaarh)
or use Incredimail :badpc: :badpc: :badpc: :badpc:

Alex B
17-05-2010, 02:01 PM
DSE is not helping it.

They don't have the std version, only academic whatever that is .. and the home office one. What does a small business do then :sleep

Well if they are smart, not shop with the likes of DSE. and go to an actual IT reseller.

wainuitech
17-05-2010, 03:58 PM
A lot of businesses use SBE (Small Business Edition) basically the same as professional but without Access or Standard heres a list of all products (http://office.microsoft.com/en-gb/products/FX101635841033.aspx)

Digby
17-05-2010, 04:32 PM
I want to get Office 2010 when it comes out (just to get more up to date - I have Office 2002.)
But I need Access and Publisher which makes it dearer of course.
I am going to try to get a student version.
I am only a small business, and will be much smaller If I paid $800 to Microsoft !
I have always felt that they should offer users of older software a trade-in upgrade price as we have been loyal supporters all along.

sroby
17-05-2010, 05:16 PM
I have always felt that they should offer users of older software a trade-in upgrade price as we have been loyal supporters all along.

They do !
Microsoft Office Professional 2007 UPGRADE, should be an upgrade version of 2010-check what you can upgrade from.

Whats wrong with Office2002 ?? (Is that OfficeXP?) When did the pst size limit get increased from 2G (2003??)
Just what new features do you need? Word/Excel 07(docx etc) files can still be opened with the freeware viewers. 2007 is a pig for those used to the old versions.2010 might not be better.

You can guarantee you'll need a descent bit of PC grunt to ruin 2010

robbyp
17-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Hi, I got the student version called the Ultimate Steal as a download for $80 which has an option of a extra $25 that incl a CD/DVD disc.

I saw the $230 odd MS Office 2003 Home and Student Edition in the mailouts. What's the difference? It still incl the 2010 as a download when it is available. I know it doesn't have MS Outlook but the $80 one does :lol:

Does the $230 apply to home business or unqualified education institutes?

FYI, I found out the $80 one really is just one copy per student even if the student as a PC and a laptop. Diff to the academic version some yrs back.

Cheers.

The ultimate steal is actually a full version, and not a student version. It is just that it is only available to people who live and work in uni's and polys.

Speedy Gonzales
17-05-2010, 05:31 PM
Unless you dont want anything to work with office 2010, its better if you get 32 bit. Since addons dont work in 64 bit. So, why MS decided to make a 64 bit version, is anyone's guess. I doubt you'll need a grunty PC to run office 2010. It'll be like any other version.

robbyp
17-05-2010, 05:36 PM
Unless you dont want anything to work with office 2010, its better if you get 32 bit. Since addons dont work in 64 bit. So, why MS decided to make a 64 bit version, is anyone's guess. I doubt you'll need a grunty PC to run office 2010. It'll be like any other version.

Yeah, it shouldn't need any more resources than 2007. I did however notice a resource difference between office xp and 2007, 2007 needed more computer resources.

Nomad
17-05-2010, 05:59 PM
The ultimate steal is actually a full version, and not a student version. It is just that it is only available to people who live and work in uni's and polys.

Precisly.

What is a student version anyway.
It's just sold to the student market afaik.
Still have Office 2000 Academic on a old laptop - that is still the full version.

Nomad
17-05-2010, 06:02 PM
They do !
Microsoft Office Professional 2007 UPGRADE, should be an upgrade version of 2010-check what you can upgrade from.

Whats wrong with Office2002 ?? (Is that OfficeXP?) When did the pst size limit get increased from 2G (2003??)
Just what new features do you need? Word/Excel 07(docx etc) files can still be opened with the freeware viewers. 2007 is a pig for those used to the old versions.2010 might not be better.

You can guarantee you'll need a descent bit of PC grunt to ruin 2010

The upgrade version is more expensive than the Ultimate Steal or Home/Student editions :p

The upgrade afaik is the commercial version.

Alex B
17-05-2010, 08:32 PM
I want to get Office 2010 when it comes out (just to get more up to date - I have Office 2002.)
But I need Access and Publisher which makes it dearer of course.
I am going to try to get a student version.
I am only a small business, and will be much smaller If I paid $800 to Microsoft !

Why not just torrent it then? You're not licenced either way.

Your cheapest option is to find a copy of 2007 SBE which will be upgraded to 2010 Pro, as there is no 2010 SBE.

Twelvevolts
17-05-2010, 08:57 PM
I got my 2007 for $20 through work, but I reckon the best bet for those without this option is still the deal at Lapshop $139 deal for Enterprise.

http://www.lapshop.co.nz/all/index.asp?pageID=2145837700

Nomad
18-05-2010, 03:36 PM
I saw that Stationery Warehouse have Small Business 2007 - free upgrade to 2010 for $300 odd. Not bad. Not sure how many license for that.

The family home version was $150 odd. Considering 3 licesnes for this not bad for the household, no outlook thou.

paulw
18-05-2010, 07:53 PM
I saw that Stationery Warehouse have Small Business 2007 - free upgrade to 2010 for $300 odd. Not bad. Not sure how many license for that.

The family home version was $150 odd. Considering 3 licenses for this not bad for the household, no outlook thou.

No Outlook on the home version is what stopped me from getting Office 2007 considering it was in Office 2003. I am currently running Office 2010 beta so hopefully M$ may see the error of their way and drop Onenote and put Outlook back into the basic version with 3 licenses of cause..

wainuitech
18-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Can tell you right now they haven't (I've got the full version) - The Home version is not meant to be used in a business environment.

MS consider outlook to be a business application, it can be tied into other business apps such as Office SharePoint Server , just to mention a few,which is not a home user function/ application.

The closest they offer is Windows Live mail - which has similar functions to Outlook.

Greven
18-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Has the official NZ RRP for the new versions been released yet, or only the US price?

I wonder why they decided to ditch publisher from home & office? It isn't exactly a "professional" app

wainuitech
18-05-2010, 10:51 PM
Haven't actually seen anything "official" but Ascent (http://www.ascent.co.nz/Category.aspx?majorcatID=114) have pricing for 2010 -- No idea where they are getting it from.

Officially its released to the public in June.

System Builders will have access to the OPK's (OEM Preinstallation Kit) 1st June including the Starter Edition of 2010 ( replacing MS Works)

Make note: Download the damn things (http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/OPK.jpg) before I forget :crying

paulw
19-05-2010, 09:40 AM
Can tell you right now they haven't (I've got the full version) - The Home version is not meant to be used in a business environment.

MS consider outlook to be a business application, it can be tied into other business apps such as Office SharePoint Server , just to mention a few,which is not a home user function/ application.

The closest they offer is Windows Live mail - which has similar functions to Outlook.
Guess I'll go back to Office 2003 when the beta expires. Not paying for Office 2010 home and then another $150 for Outlook 2010. From what I've seen of Windows Live mail it leave a lot to be desired..

wainuitech
19-05-2010, 09:44 AM
Do a mix and match so to speak-- If outlook 2003 is installed, then it will still work alongside 2010.